It is possible to extend the life of faded/obsolete/discolored nylon mats by using the following dye formula. The best over-dye color to use is charcoal (dark grey/black) because it covers all nylon mat colors. It also produces the most consistent finished mat color. Other colors are essentially touch up colors.
Available Dye Kits:
- Charcoal Dye Kit - can be used to re-dye/over-dye any mat color
- Red Dye Kit - can be used to re-dye/over-dye red/black or solid red mats
- Brown Dye Kit - can be used to re-dye/over-dye browntone mats
- Navy Dye Kit - can be used to re-dye/over-dye navy, silver, grey, and platinum mats
- Slate Dye Kit - can be used to re-dye/over-dye slate, silver, grey, and platinum mats
- Solid Blue Dye Kit - can be used to re-dye/over-dye solid blue mats
Dye kits are available in 100-pound, 200-pound, and 400-pound kits. The dye kits contain all necessary materials to over-dye/touch-up the corresponding weight of mats. Dye kits only work on mats made with nylon yarn. Results from dye kits will vary depending upon shades of mats being re-dyed. M+A Matting cannot accept responsibility for replacement of mats due to off-shade results.
For shipping purposes, dye kits are double bagged to prevent spillage. The inner bag of each dye kit is a water-soluble bag. These bags are opaque, about the size of a laundry bag, and have a red plastic tie. These bags may be placed directly in the washer without removing the dye from the bag.
- Load 100 pounds, 200 pounds, or 400 pounds, of mats into the washer with the corresponding size dye kit.
Note: Mats should be very clean to insure proper dyeing results. If necessary, clean mats using a high pH detergent at 140ºF and rinse thoroughly before running the over dye procedure.
- Remove the dye kit from the outer plastic bag and place it in the washer.
- Fill washer with cold water to low medium water level (level will depend upon the quantity of mats being dyed).
- Run for 3-4 minutes.
- Add steam to raise water temperature to 190° - 195° F over a 20-minute period.
- Run for 15 minutes and maintain temperature at 190° - 195° F.
- Dump bath and rinse in 140° F water for 3 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Extract and dry mats using normal procedure.
Note: When over-dyeing logo mats, it may be necessary to use extra dye kits to over logo colors.